You decided to turn your hobby into your dream job!
This is the course that makes it happen
I'm so excited that you've decided to become a PADI Instructor! It's the best.job.EVER!
I can't imagine going back to a proper job now... who wants to sit in an office instead of playing in the ocean all day?!
You're going to have some incredible adventures and the lifestyle is awesome
eat | sleep | dive | repeat!
prep for success
Yass! You booked your IDC and now it's time to get excited!
Use this time to do a little bit of self-auditing - are there any areas that you need to work on? It might be something from the dive theory side of things, or perhaps you're feeling a bit rusty on your skill demos? The time between now and the start of your IDC is the perfect time to do a little bit of self-development.
We take care of your prep with our IDC Success Pack
It's rammed full of useful info:
- Get IDC ready with our top 10 tips
- Pack like a boss with our essential kit list
- Practice your dive skills in bed and get your demos sorted before you even get wet
- Hack the PADI Instructor manual to fly through your standards exam
- Use the psychology of learning to ace your theory exam
- Know what you need to learn effectively
- Be ready to teach in an environmentally responsible way
- Encourage your students to eco dive
- Get ready to smash the PADI Instructor Exam
Earn PADI certifications and get access to eco courses...
Get the certs for yourself and experience what it's like to be a student for the most popular conservation courses. You might even pick up some teaching tips for when you come to deliver these PADI specialty courses to your own students!
- Dive Against Debris
- Project AWARE
- AWARE Coral Reef Conservation
- AWARE Shark Conservation
- Underwater Naturalist
- Fish ID
- Green Fins Eco Guide
And we're always here for you, whenever you need us!
Your preparations are guided by our amazing team. We're just a message away if you have any questions or concerns
- Always on Slack support group
- Weekly Zoom check-ins and Q&A sessions
love the IDC
OMG. You're going to have so much fun on your Instructor Development Course! We have limited availability for our programs as we only ever work with 4 candidates at a time. This way, you get lots of individual attention and the chance to work 1:1 with the team.
You'll spend 16 days developing your skills and knowledge as you progress through the PADI curriculum. There is some time spent in the classroom, taking part in workshops and delivering presentations, but the really fun stuff happens in our onsite training tank and at our local shore dive sites. You'll get wet pretty much every day!
12 Day Instructor Development Program
The PADI curriculum is designed to refine your skills and knowledge and help you understand how to use the system to teach your own students. We've also thrown in a few extra workshops for good measure which will develop you into a more rounded, environmentally conscious instructor.
- Dive theory
- Skill development
- The PADI system
- Learning and teaching
- Teaching each PADI course
- Set up and scheduling considerations
- Risk management and licensing
- Delivering the perfect exam presentations
- How to teach neutrally buoyant from day 1
- Modern diving techniques with wing and long hose
- How to teach with ocean protection in mind
- Dealing with student diver anxiety and panic
2 Day EFR Instructor Course
When you become a PADI instructor, you also need to be an Emergency First Response Instructor. Think of all the Rescue courses you're going to teach once you're qualified. You'll need to teach them first aid too! Plus, your own personal first aid knowledge will improve - especially after working with our amazing trainers and you'll add another string to your bow when it comes to sources of income. You'll be able to teach first aid courses to non-divers too!
- Skill development sessions led by our awesome friends at Life Saving Training. They're award-winning outdoor first aid specialists, mountain rescue volunteers and avid rescue divers themselves.
- EFR educational philosophy
- Care for children
- AED use
- Organising and marketing your first course
- Mannequin cleaning
2 Day PADI Instructor Exam
Don't be scared of the PADI Instructor Exam! You're simply going spend two amazing days showing the PADI examiners (who are all lovely, by the way) what you learned on your IDC. There's nothing new, you'll just be repeating everything you've already done.
Depending on the dates of your IDC, the IE might not be local. But don't worry! Built into your program are days at the IE site so you can explore and get familiar with the location so you feel at ease in the exam.
- Dive theory and standards exams
- Knowledge development teaching presentation
- Skill circuit
- Confined water teaching presentation
- Rescue skill demonstration
- Open water teaching presentation
go out and teach
The moment you've been waiting for!
With the IDC, EFRi and IE under your belt, you are qualified to teach your own students. But don't muddle through it on your own, the best strategy is to have a support network behind you so you can bounce ideas off and get help if you're having any issues.
Join our mentoring program
Teaching your first few courses is nerve-wracking! With a mentor by your side, you can fire off any questions you might have or ask for advice on how to structure things.
- Slack support group connects you to talented course directors all over the UK and the founder of Scubaphsyche.
- Regular zoom calls for check-ins and Q&A sessions
- Discounted access to ongoing dive pro training
Take an internship
Propel your mentoring to the next level by joining our MSDT internship. Work with the same crew who helped you smash the IDC. Milk them for all the tips and tricks you can!
- Team teach until you're confident to take students independently
- Work towards your PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer rating by teaching at least 25 certifications
- Build experience working in a busy dive centre
- Have something you want to learn? Just say! Whether it's how to fill tanks, equipment servicing, how to run social media for your new dive centre - we'll build bespoke training for you!
- Make your dive pro CV irresistible
Expand your teaching repertoire
Offer more to your students and make sure you have variety when you're teaching. Dive centres will snap you up if you can teach more than just the core courses and when you're teaching lots of different things, it keeps you fresh and enjoying diving!
- Offer something completely different to your competitors and learn how to bundle courses to make your training mouth-watering
- Teach the most profitable upsells
- Work more in your favourite specialism and share your passion