Each year our coastal communities brace themselves against the winter conditions that create a ‘Perfect Storm’ of plastic pollution on our beaches. The Autumn Beach Clean extends deep into this darker, colder time than any other beach clean project. When, in the absence of summer’s tourist spotlight, the health of our coastlines can slip from the nation’s mind.
Along with over 300 other Beach Clean Leaders, The Fifth Point have joined Surfers Against Sewage and their partners; The Crown Estate, Greggs, Parley For The Oceans and Ecover to unite, inspire and empower my community to take action to help create Plastic Free Coastlines.
As we’ve adopted Cambois Beach as part of the Marine Conservation Society’s Beach Watch, there’s two options for this beach clean:
1. Take part in the Marine Conservation Society Survey – record all the trash you remove in a marked off area
2. Free pick – fill your boots and pick up as much as you can from anywhere on the beach outside the survey area!
Debris will be sorted at the beach as we go. Categories included:
1. Hard Plastics (to be sent to TerraCycle to be made special beach plastic products)
2. Metal and Glass (to be recycled)
3. Creative Items (anything that could be used by our beach artists)
4. Hazardous Items (like dog poo or sharps to be disposed of appropriately)
5. Landfill (unfortunately not eveything can be recycled but we try our best!)
A full briefing will be given to all volunteers and all the gear you need will be provided.